Mechanical/Plumbing & Gasfitting

Effective July 21, 2021, the NH Office of Professional Licensure and Certification (OPLC) has responsibilities for mechanical licensing in our state. This includes plumbing, gas, oil and water treatment professionals.

Do you need a mechanical license?

The Mechanical Safety and Licensing Board transferred from the Department of Safety to the Office of Professional Licensure and Certification (OPLC). For more information visit: OPLC Mechanical Safety & Inspection


Office of Professional Licensure & Certification (OPLC)

7 Eagle Square, Concord, NH 03223




(except for New Hampshire State Holidays) 

State Building Permit Requests

Plumbing and mechanical inspection requests under the state building permit system will continue to be coordinated by calling the State Fire Marshal's Office or by emailing

The NH State Fire Marshal's Office is also available to help municipalities with compliance inspections, answer code que stions, and conduct inspections. 

Here is additional information about the State Building Permit System

Informational Bulletins & Resources (Mechanical) 

Appliance Venting & Heating System Maintenance #2015-10

Chemical Dispensing Appliance Installation/ Required Backflow Device  #2014-01

Chimneys with Gas Appliances Installed #2019-01

Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Systems #2013-09

Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing for Fuel Gas Systems  (residential) #2021-01

Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) (U.S. Senate Resolution #483) 

Gas Licensing for Gas Fired Generators (clarification) #2019-02

PVC Venting - notice from Charlotte

Stationary Generator Installation & Safety (residential)  #2016-03

Vent Terminal Frost Closure Requirements (clarification) #2020-01

Water Fountain Access 


Need Help? 

As always, please contact us with any questions or comments at or (603) 223-4289.