Fire & Explosion Investigations
The NH State Fire Marshal’s Office – Bureau of Investigations (BOI) – Fire and Explosion Investigation Section is available to respond or provide consult by phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Please do not hesitate to contact us at 603-223-4289 or by email at [email protected]
The NH State Fire Marshal’s Office – Bureau of Investigations responds to the following types of incidents:
- Fatalities as a result of a fire, explosion, building collapse or a carbon monoxide release (other than a motor vehicle)
- Serious Bodily Injury as a result of a fire, explosion, carbon monoxide incident, or a building collapse
- Line of Duty Death or Serious Fire Service Injury
- Fires that indicate arson (intentionally set)
- Explosions with criminal indicators
- Fires or explosions that involve large dollar loss or community significance
- Fire or explosions that occur at state owned property
- Fire or explosions with an Undetermined Origin and Cause
*All scenes must be secured by police or fire personnel*
** The FMO Duty-Supervisor will need incident commander/on-scene contact prior to approving and deploying FMO assets**
Responding investigation teams can provide the following:
Ignitable Liquid/Accelerant Detection K-9s, Origin and Cause Determination, Fire Scene Reconstruction, Post Blast Investigation, Collection of Fire Scene Evidence, Interviews, Scene Documentation, Command trailers, Criminal and Administrative Search Warrants
Ignitable Liquid/Accelerant Detection Canine (K-9) Unit
Ignitable Liquid/Accelerant Detection canines can detect minute traces of ignitable liquids used in fires and can lead investigators to a specific location where physical samples can be taken for forensic laboratory analysis.
To speak with the on-call Supervisor or request assistance from an Investigator or K-9 team after normal business hours, please call New Hampshire State Police Communications at (603) 223-4381.
Laws, Rules and Codes
For a list of all laws, rules and codes that pertain to the NH Division of Fire Safety, please view them on our full site.