State Building Permit Program
The NH State Fire Marshal’s Office (NHFMO) administers the state building permit system for all state owned properties. This program covers the permitting, plan review and inspections for all construction work in state owned properties.
This page is a resource to help with issues or concerns that may arise from COVID-19. This building permit program applies only to construction that meets at least one of the following criteria:
- State owned property
- Community college system property
- Municipal projects for which we have received a written request for assistance
- Projects in municipalities without a code enforcement mechanism, from whom we have received a written request for assistance
We kindly request that you do not stop by the office to drop off or pick up physical plans without an appointment. The Bureau of Building Safety & Construction has adapted the submittal process for project reviews, with preference for electronic submissions. During this time our team is still working for you and will continue accepting and reviewing project documents and plans, issuing permits and conducting inspections.
To submit permit applications and plans electronically, please first email [email protected] to set-up a Box.com folder. If electronic means is not possible, submittals may be sent by mail or by dropping applications into the yellow drop box located near the check point at Smokey Bear Blvd. For delivery of larger projects and plan sets, you can call (603) 223-4289 to arrange a time for drop off. Payments for permit fees will continue to be by mail or drop box.
Division of Fire Safety
NH Department of Safety
33 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305
For an overview of the building permit program including the permit process, fee schedule, and documents please visit our primary building permit page.
Please note, our office has no jurisdiction over local building projects, with the exception of those noted above. Building code enforcement falls under local building officials. Please contact your local building official for assistance.
Forms and Guidance
- State Building Permit Application
- State Building Permit Program
- Emergency Variance Requests
- Tent Inspection Checklist
- Informational Bulletins
Laws, Rules and Codes
- Applicable law: New Hampshire Building Code RSA 155-A
- Administrative Rules: State Building Permit System Saf-C 8100
For a list of all laws, rules and codes that pertain to the NH Division of Fire Safety, please view them on our full site.
Covid-19 Related Links
- Novel Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) – All information on the Coronavirus COVID-19 in the State of New Hampshire
- Emergency Orders (Governor Chris Sununu)