The NH State Fire Marshal’s Office (NHFMO) administers the statewide school inspection program, provides plan reviews for public school construction.
This School Inspection Program requires local fire chiefs to inspect private and public schools within their jurisdiction once a year.
Our office conducts plan reviews for all public school construction projects, working closely with the Department of Education.
We are happy to provide technical assistance on fire code and protection standards, occupancy, fire and emergency drills, and exits (egress) upon request.
This page is a resource to help with circumstances arising from COVID-19. A broader range of School Inspection information is on our primary site.
For immediate needs related to school operations or variance requests resulting from COVID-19, we make every effort to expedite guidance within 24-48 hours.
Forms and Guidance
- Emergency Variance Requests
- School Inspection Program
- School Safety and Drill Planning Considerations
- Tent Installation and Operation Guidance for SAUs
- Tent Inspection Checklist
NH Resources Pertaining to COVID-19 and Schools
- NH COVID-19 Schools Dashboard
- NH Department of Education – COVID-19 Resources for Schools
- NH Department of Education – School Safety and Facility Management Bureau
- NH School Safety Resource Center
- Ready NH – School Safety Planning
Laws, Rules and Codes
For a list of all laws, rules and codes that pertain to the NH Division of Fire Safety, please view them on our full site.